Our Learning for Life curriculum includes the statutory frameworks of Religious Education (RE), Personal, Social, Health Education (PSHE), Relationships and Sex Education (RSE), Citizenship and Careers Education Information and Guidance (CEIAG). It is delivered in both a weekly timetabled lesson and tutor time sessions as well as in assemblies and drop down ‘Experience Events’ as part of our Learning for Life programme.
This programme is designed to help our young people to develop all aspects of themselves. It provides a combined approach to the development of personal learning and thinking skills; the PSHE curriculum; Religious Education, Relationships and Sex Education; social, moral, spiritual and cultural development; and preparation for life beyond school.
We at RSA Academy Arrow Vale recognise that school and college leaders should: promote knowledge of healthy relationships; create a culture where sexual harassment and online sexual abuse are not tolerated, and where they identify issues and intervene early to better protect children and young people.
In order to do this, they should assume that sexual harassment and online sexual abuse are happening in their setting, even when there are no specific reports, and put in place a whole-school approach to address them. This should include:
- a carefully sequenced RSHE curriculum, based on the Department for Education’s (DfE’s) statutory guidance, that specifically includes sexual harassment and sexual violence, including online. This should include time for open discussion of topics that children and young people tell us they find particularly difficult, such as consent and the sending of ‘nudes’
- i) Trust agreed RSE policy that is compliant with 2020 statutory update
At RSA Academy Arrow Val, we deliver our RSE through a range of provision throughout the year including Learning for Life timetabled sessions, Learning for Life tutor sessions, assemblies, drop down lessons, external visitors and Experience Events.
Students in Year 9, Year 10 and Year 11 engage in our RSE curriculum during their timetable Learning for Life lessons in the Autumn term; thus, to reinforce the importance of this important education area.
The Learning for Life curriculum is a cornerstone of learning at Arrow Vale and is covered in the following areas:
- Experience Events
- Learning for Life sessions during tutor time and timetabled curriculum time
- Our SMSC/PSHE curriculum in Years 9, 10 and 11
- The development of KASE in every lesson
- The Arrow Vale learning toolkit
Each year group covers a range of interesting units which develop the wider KASE skills alongside specific themed content. Details can be found on the Year 9 and Key Stage 4 pages. Learning for Life sessions are characterised by opportunities to hear and share different viewpoints within a safe, well-managed learning environment.